Online Diary

I have been browsing the web for at least 7 years now, yet I had failed to discover this thing called the online diary. My blog for me worked both as a space where I would learn writing, think and also put out intensely personal thoughts.

Good for me, I finally did discover the online dairy and have one now. Its a place where one can write out affirmations. And affirmations are what I need to write up my PhD dissertation.

An online diary can be made public or kept private: it is entirely up to keeper. I was weary of the version of self-hood found all over the web...very declarative, sure, excessive with self-analysis, and lots of hullabaloo about what I have on my mind, what music and mood I am into and so on. It was all about putting into one smart, cheeky line what you go through from one day to another. With friends and acquaintances all knowing everything about you, vulnerability is the only word I can think of and it leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. As if one was not vulnerable enough! And just when the scholar-me asks to be in a library with books. :)

I am generally weary of any quick transformations of subjectivity and have always been deeply skeptic about such things. If a change is worthwhile, it has to be of lasting consequence and to be lasting, it has to take into account the basics of human nature. Respect, anonymity, deep silence, different kinds of relationships: with parents, siblings and others right into the middle of which we are born, personal space, need for love and education, opportunity, compassion and so on.

I do not want to share with all what I feel and think about. And that doesn't make me anti-social! I am only so because I do have a life! If you have life in the real world, its almost impossible to give daily updates about what you are thinking. My God, what you are often thinking is: how do I get ahead of this or that guy in life or even telling your mind to shut up now. Is it not?

What I think about goes into my PhD, for God's sake! So back off, Facebook. Besides, a successful person is always the one that does things in absolute secrecy: she remains calm until she actually achieves her goals and mostly remains silent even after having done so. So...shh.

Here are some places one can check out an online diary:
http://penzu.com/
http://www.my-diary.org/
http://www.deardiary.net/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Talk at Women's Studies Dept., BU

A man called P

Before Sunrise, Before Sunset