I am woman, hear me roar...

Back from Calcutta, so many things to put down. No time.  One of the best things that happened was that I met Kannada novelist H S Champavati and got to spend a good 10 days with her as a roommate. Her novel Shivaganga is a favourite and I had just collected her phone number from another scholar to contact her. I was possibly sending off vibrations on the same count to the universe and it yielded to me. Some people are so near, yet far and others so far and gone. Sigh...such is life! 
Champavati sang to us all a song she learnt in the 70s while at Holland, from a Latin American friend. I loved it. So here it goes...

I am woman, hear me roar, in numbers too big to ignore
And I know too much to come back and pretend
Cause I have heard it all before
And I have been down there on the floor
No one ever gone up, keep me down again

O…yes, I am wise, but it is wisdom born of pain
Yes I have paid the price
But look how much I have gained
If I have to, I can do anything, I am strong, I am invincible, I am woman.

You can bend but never break me
Cause it only serves to make me
More determined to achieve my final goal
Yes, I will come back ever stronger
Not an arm any longer
Cause you have deepened the conviction in my soul
O…yes, I am wise….

I am woman, watch me roar, see me standing toe to toe
As I spread my loving arms across the land
But I am still an embryo with a long long way to go
Until I make brother understand
O…yes, I am wise…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Talk at Women's Studies Dept., BU

A man called P

Before Sunrise, Before Sunset