Karma

I remember the exact day in my childhood when I first began to experience karma. In this life, that is. Considering I can remember it, I must have been over 2 and half years of age at least. My hunch is that I was at least 6 or older. Children are exempt from the laws of karma until they are a bit older. Remember the story of a child that kills something in ignorance and then the parents perform a great penance and request that children be exempt from the laws of karma until they are old enough to understand right from wrong. I forget the source and other details of the story, argh!

It was an evening and I was sitting in our hall, I remember exactly where, on the floor, near the settee. And I began to experience movements inside my head. It was an experience like none before. I scratched my head, it continued, I hit my head and it continued. Have you seen children shaking their head vigorously, by the way? So I asked my mother what it was. I told her it is as if there are ants inside my head, they keep moving from here to there. Amma said things that day that make her my first guru. She said "just remain calm and they will go away, do not touch or scratch your head. Just observe it and all will be okay." I did that and I told her that when I observed it, it went away. We were happy at the resolution! This was probably when I had begun thinking, so to speak. To think more than was necessary I suppose, and with that I became ready to enter the field of karma wherein earlier thoughts needed to be paid for too.

Many many years later, after Vipassana, I know now that that day marked the beginning of experiencing Karma. It is said that vibrations in the head are generally more auspicious than elsewhere. And also that vibrations are always present in the head, whether or not we perceive them. I remember now how we were told not scratch itches. "Just leave it alone", elders would say. Itches, vibrations, pain, suffering and sensations are all supposedly manifestations of our karma. During my Vipassana course, I asked my teacher one day as to what particular karma is indicated if a certain part of the body itches or is pained. He said one could know what exactly every sensation referred to if meditation was practiced well. I hope one day to be able to understand karma like that and also wash it away with eyes of detachment towards each and every sensation, action and thought! Ah, me and my lofty aims!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Talk at Women's Studies Dept., BU

A man called P

Before Sunrise, Before Sunset