The Namesake

I liked the book The Namesake a lot. For one, its sentences flow uninterruptedly like a river and secondly, the choices the author Jhumpa Lahiri makes are very interesting. See for example, the reason why Gogol and Maxie break up, it follows the death of Ashoke. Death is something that's handled differently in different cultures. The seriousness or the way in which we deal with this really does mar or make existing relationships. Even people belonging to the same culture are shaken up by death.

I like even better the bit where Gogol's wife suddenly on their anniversary dinner feels let down that the restaurant owners are closing down even before they finish eating. Things take on a starker hue for Gogol's wife leading finally to a break up and the ways in which these were represented through a perception of mundane things in the world thoroughly fascinated me.

I thought Kal Penn was bad in the film the first time I watched it, and liked him the second time I watched the movie. There is some primacy effect we might never escape from! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Talk at Women's Studies Dept., BU

A man called P

Before Sunrise, Before Sunset